Applications for building permits are available by clicking on the link : RDCK Building Permit Application Form or at any of the Building Offices, during scheduled hours
Notice for Applicants: The RDCK cautions applicants that they should expect longer than normal permit processing and issuance timelines, due to current staffing shortages. There is a scarcity of experienced and qualified building officials across the province, and the RDCK is not immune to this. We are engaged in active recruitment of building officials and our current staff are doing their best to process and issue permits in a timely fashion. Thank you in advance for your patience during this time.
Attention to sustainability in planning and building your project will create a quality building with reduced long-term utility costs. Use these checklists to help plan, design and build with goals of sustainability and energy-efficiency. Visit the Regional Energy Efficiency program for more information at https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/sustainability-environmental-initiatives/energy/regional-energy-efficiency-program.html
Residential Sustainability Checklist
Commercial Sustainability Checklist
Construction shall not commence before a building permit has been issued. To ensure expedient permit processing:
- The application must be complete - please refer to our Building Brochure for the requirements
- The contact information must be correct
- The owner and the representative must sign the Owner’s Representative Form application.
For current building permit fees refer to the schedule here: Fee-Schedule.
The following, where applicable, are required to be submitted with your Building Permit Application.
BUILDING PLANS—INCLUDING FLOOR, ELEVATION AND CROSS SECTION PLANS
- Two sets of detailed building plans. If you find that you cannot draw the necessary plans, then you should obtain the services of a qualified person. Preferred scale 1/4” = 1” - 0”
BC HOUSING REQUIREMENTS
- Plan indicating:
- North Arrow
- Location & uses of proposed/existing construction and additions
- All lot dimensions
- All distances from property lines, steep slopes and water courses for proposed construction and/or additions
- Location of driveway access from named roads
- Size, location and number of on-site parking spaces (if required)
- Location of proposed or existing sewage field and water well
- Scale of Site Plan
SEWAGE DISPOSAL SYSTEMS (if required)
- If the application for permit is to construct a dwelling, the owner must, prior to issuance of the permit, submit a “New Home Registration Form” that is acquired from BC Housing OR the licensed builder. Further information may be obtained from the BC Housing website: www.bchousing.org
AN ACCESS PERMIT (if required)
- Where a private Sewage Disposal System is to be installed in accordance with the Sewerage System Regulations in British Columbia, contact a Registered Practitioner or Engineer. For a list of contractors in your area visit: www.owrp.asttbc.org
- If access is from a major Highway, an Access Permit for confirmation of legal access to the property is required from the appropriate Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure District Office (see list on last page).
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION (if required)
- A current copy of your Title Search is required, dated within 30 days of the date of application and a copy of any and all covenants. (The RDCK can retrieve these documents for a small fee)
BC Energy Compliance Report – Pre-construction form (all residential part 9 new builds)
- Professional Certification of plans may be required as a condition of the issuance of a Permit.
- Please visit our Professional Certification page for more information on engineering requirements.
Pre construction HOT2000 Model Full Report (all residential part 9 new builds)
- Completed by a Certified Energy Advisor licensed by Natural Resources Canada.
If construction is within a manufactured home park, a signed form: Manufactured Home Park Owner/Manager approval
- Printout or electronic version of the complete pre construction HOT2000 Model Full Report
The content on this page was last updated June 7 2021 at 8:43 AM
Back to top