Civic Addressing

The RDCK is responsible for issuing and maintaining an addressing system for the Rural Central Kootenays. Civic addresses, also known as fire numbers or house numbers, are assigned for all occupied properties in the West Kootenays. Civic addresses are provided for all residences and businesses. Civic addresses are normally assigned at the time of building permit issuance.

Emergency services rely on civic addresses to find people in need of help. Untimely delays in emergency response time can be prevented by displaying civic addresses so that they are clearly visible from the road for emergency 9-1-1 services.

The RDCK will provide civic addressing numbers and signs upon request. An address may also be assigned prior to a building permit if required for the installation of utilities or delivery of materials. An application for “Request for Addressing of Unoccupied Property or Change of Address Form” and a $75.00 fee is required per address. Address signs are an optional service available for a $40 fee.

Contact Us

To confirm your civic address or request a new one please contact the Development Services Department, or the toll free number (reception) listed to the right.  Completed applications, along with payment (cheque or money order) should be mailed in to the main office at Box 590, 202 Lakeside Drive, Nelson, BC  V1L 5R4.  Unfortunately, we cannot accept e-transfers, over the phone or credit card payment.  We can accept cash or debit at the front desk.  

The electronically editable form for requesting an address can be downloaded from the link below.  Please feel free to use the back side of the form if you require more room for your lot sketch.  It is very important to know where your driveway will be accessed from as some lots have significant road frontage.  If in the future your driveway location changes, especially if it changes to access from another road (IE: corner lot), please advise us immediately so that we can make that change.  

Request for Addressing of Unoccupied Property or Change of Address Form

The content on this page was last updated February 18 2021 at 1:35 PM