Schedule a FREE FireSmart Home Assessment.
Wildfire in the Kootenays that is a fact of life. You can TAKE ACTION to reduce your risk from wildfire, and become FIRESMART!
RDCK FIRESMART PROGRAM
1. FireSmart Home Partners Program
A FREE PROFESSIONAL ASSESSMENT OF YOUR PROPERTY
A Wildfire Mitigation Specialist will come to your home and make a detailed report including specific mitigation actions to help protect your home from wildfire. During the assessment, they will discuss wildfire behavior dynamics and the ways a wildfire could affect your home.
- Complete 360 assessment of your property.
- Detailed customized report with a list of mitigation actions designed to measurably reduce the wildfire risk to your property.
- Receive a Firesmart Certificate upon successful completion of mitigation actions and an on-site follow up.You can choose to share your mitigation certificate with insurance providers to potentially reduce rates or maintain coverage, or with your Realtor to assist in selling your home.
- The RDCK and FireSmart Canada only share details of the assessment with you.
- For more information go to: FIRESMARTHOMEPARTNERS.CA
Download the FireSmart Begins at Home Manual
Download the FireSmart Home Development GuideDownload the FireSmart Guide to Landscaping
2. FireSmart Canada Neighbourhood Recognition Program
Canada Community Recognition Program
When neighbours get together to FireSmart the whole community, they can reduce the risks for everyone.
The neighbourhood Recognition Program helps neighbours to organize and reduce the risk of wildfire damage for their whole community. The Local FireSmart Representative administers the program, supports and assists the communities in reducing wildfire risks.
- A Local FireSmart Representative from the RDCK will provide wildfire hazard reduction information based on an overall assessment of your community.
- With the assistance of the Local FireSmart Representative, you and your neighbours form a cooperating network and make a plan to mitigate the wildfire hazards around you.
- You and your neighbours work together to implement local mitigation solutions.
- Firesmart Canada recognizes your community efforts and grants your community Firesmart status.
For more information on Firesmart Neighbourhood: FIRESMARTCANADA.CA
Contact our Wildfire Mitigation office (250) 352-1539 firstname.lastname@example.org
DOWNLOAD THE FIRESMART COMMUNITY BROCHURE
Request a Firesmart community information session
Arrange to have one of our Wildfire Mitigation Specialists visit your community group or local hall to give a short presentation to provide Firesmart information, and answer questions about how you can make yoru home and community more Firesmart.
Contact the Wildfire Mitigation Supervisor Joel Hamilton to schedule a presentation
The content on this page was last updated May 7 2021 at 2:11 PM
Back to top