1 800 268 7325
Bylaw Enforcement & Dog Control
This page contains information about the following Bylaw Enforcement related items: Overview, Complaint Anonymity, General Information, Dog Control, Municipal Ticketing Information, Bylaw Enforcement Notice and Dispute Adjudication System, Frequently Asked Questions and How to Reach Us.
Our Bylaw Enforcement Officers are responsible for enforcing RDCK bylaws, including those regulating Unsightly Premises, Noise, Zoning and Soil Removal & Deposit (where such bylaws are in place).
For Electoral Areas A, B and C (Creston Valley), Bylaw Officer Taylor Savage can be reached at our Creston Office, 531B - 16th Ave S., or at 236-532-2018 (toll free: 833-223-2663) (email@example.com). For more information about Creston Valley Bylaw Enforcement services, click here [PDF - 130 KB].
Bylaw enforcement action will be initiated:
- upon receipt of a signed complaint (letter, petition, verified fax or email, or complaint form);
- upon request of a Regional District Director; or
- upon receipt of a staff report relative to a possible bylaw infraction.
NOTE: Noise complaints require two independent complainants
Complainant information is considered confidential and will not be released to the person whose property is being investigated, unless under an order by the Provincial Freedom of Information Act. Each request is looked at individually and decisions may vary accordingly.
Not all regulatory bylaws are in effect region-wide. For instance, at this time:
- UNSIGHTLY PROPERTY BYLAWS are in place in Electoral Areas B, C, E, F, G, I, J and K, but, not in Electoral Areas A, D, or H. However, in some cases, there are provisions under certain Zoning bylaws that can address concerns of this nature, IE: storage of derelict vehicles.
Unsightly Property Bylaw No. 1687, 2004 (consolidated). [PDF - 593 KB]
- ZONING is in place as follows:
- Areas C, F, I, J and K in their entirety;
- Portions only of Electoral Area A, B, C, D and G;
- No zoning in place in Areas E and H;
See Zoning bylaws page
- NOISE BYLAW is in effect in Electoral Areas A, C, E, F, G and J;
Noise Control Bylaw No. 2440, 2015 (consolidated, 2063) [PDF - 187 KB]
- SOIL REMOVAL and DEPOSIT BYLAW in Areas I and J;
Soil Removal and Deposit Bylaw No. 1183, 1996 [PDF - 98 KB]
- NUISANCE BYLAW in Areas C, E, F, G and J.
Nuisance Bylaw No. 2043, 2009 [PDF - 136 KB]
Animal Control bylaws are in place in ‘defined areas’ of Electoral Areas I, J and K and all of Areas E and F only.
- Areas E & F contact Pamela Guille (contractor) - (250) 505-8112, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Areas I & J contact Pamela Guille (contractor) – (250) 365-9463, email@example.com
- Area K contact Jackie Kilburn (contractor) - (250) 265-1580
Dog Control, Bylaw No. 2387, 2014 (Electoral Areas E and F) [PDF - 1 MB]
Dog Control, Bylaw No. 2388, 2014 (portions of Electoral Areas I and J) [PDF - 1.1 MB]
Dog Control, Bylaw No. 2389, 2014 (specified Electoral Areas of K) [PDF - 1.2 MB]
The Regional District Board at its August 21, 2014 meeting adopted the new Municipal Ticketing Information Bylaw No. 2423, 2014 to enhance the Municipal Ticketing System within the Regional District of Central Kootenay.
The Regional Board at it's February 12, 2015 meeting adopted the Bylaw Enforcement Notice and Dispute Adjudication System Bylaw No. 2423, 2015 to have any issued fines addressed in a timely manner. The bylaw also has incorporated a Compliance Agreement where persons who were issued a fine can enter into an agreement to bring any outstanding issues into compliance at which time the fines issued may be waived.
Team Leader, Bylaw Enforcement
Regional District of Central Kootenay
Box 590, 202 Lakeside Drive
Nelson, B.C. V1L 5R4
Phone: 1-800-268-7325 (BC)
Phone: (250) 352-6665
Fax: (250) 352-9300
The content on this page was last updated February 16 2018 at 3:07 PM