Elections & Assent Voting

Elections for directors to represent the electoral areas occur every four (4) years as part of the General Local Election system in British Columbia. The next local government elections will be held in October, 2022. Directors may be elected by acclamation (in the case of a single qualified candidate) or by voting (where there is more than one qualified candidate).

Voting in local elections is limited to residents and property owners of the voting jurisdiction who meet minimum statutory qualifications.

In the event a vacancy occurs for a director, a by-election to fill the vacancy will usually be held as soon as reasonably possible.

In addition to elections and by-elections, the Regional District may also hold a vote (assent voting/referendum) to determine public opinion on a matter, or to obtain the assent of the electors on a proposed bylaw.

Click on the link below for the appropriate section:
How Do I Vote?
Am I on the Voters' List?
Voter Qualifications - Residents Elector
Voter Qualifications - Non-residents (property) Elector
How to Register?
Where Do I Vote?
Assent Voting/Referendum
More Information
General Local Election

How Do I Vote?

To vote in an election, you must be registered as an elector (resident or non resident). If your name does not appear on the List of Electors for your electoral area, you are not a registered elector. If you qualify to vote, you may register at the time of voting.

Am I on the Voters' List?

The Regional District of Central Kootenay uses the Provincial   Voters' List as its List of Resident Electors. If you are registered as a provincial voter, you will automatically be registered as an elector. If you have previously registered as a non-resident property elector, you   will continue to be registered as an elector. To find out if you are on the List of Electors, please contact the Chief Election Officer at (250) 352-8173 or 1-800-268-7325.

Voter Qualifications

Resident Elector

You may vote in a General Local Election as a Resident Elector if you meet all of the following criteria:

  1. You are a Canadian citizen;
  2. You are 18 years of age or older on or before general voting day;
  3. You are a resident of BC for at least 6 months immediately prior to the day of registration;
  4. You are a resident of the RDCK jurisdiction for at least 30 days immediately prior to the day of registration; and
  5. You are not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other Act from voting in an election or be otherwise disqualified by law.

Rules for Determining Residency – Resident Elector

To determine residency for a resident elector the criteria are as follows:

  1. Person is a resident of the area where the person lives and to which, whenever absent, the person intends to return;
  2. Person may only be a resident of one area at a time for the purpose of voting in a local government election;
  3. Person does not change their area of residence until they have a new area of residence;
  4. Person does not cease to be a resident of an area by leaving the area for temporary purposes only;
  5. If a person establishes residency in a new area which is away from their usual area of residence for the purpose of attending an educational institution in the new area, the person may choose to vote in either area; but not in both.
  6. No corporation is entitled to be registered as an elector or have representative registered as an elector and no corporation is entitled to vote.

Please consult the Voter's Guide to Local Elections in BC.

Non-resident (property) Elector

Voter Qualifications- Non-Resident (Property) Electors

If you own property in one place but live in another, you have the right to vote both where you live and where you own property subject to the conditions noted below.

You may vote in a General Local Election as a Non-Resident (Property) Elector if you meet all of the following criteria:

  1. You are NOT entitled to register as a Resident Elector of the jurisdiction;
  2. You are a Canadian citizen;
  3. You are 18 years of age or older on or before general voting day;
  4. You have lived in BC for at least 6 months immediately prior to the day of registration;
  5. You are the registered owner of real property (e.g. land with or without improvements) in the RDCK jurisdiction for at least 30 days immediately prior to the day of registration (Note: the only persons who are registered owners of the real property, either as joint tenants or tenants in common, are individuals who are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust);
  6. You must only register in relation to one piece of property in the jurisdiction;
  7. If more than one person owns the property, only one owner may register and that person must have the written consent of a majority of the other owners; and
  8. You are not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other Act from voting in an election or be otherwise disqualified by law.

How to Register

The RDCK conducts advanced voter registration. The RDCK also accepts voter registration on the day of general voting. You must submit a completed Resident Elector registration application form or a Non-Resident (Property) Elector registration application form and accompanying documents in order to register.

To register on general voting day Resident Electors and Non-Resident (Property) Electors must produce two pieces of identification. This identification should prove both residency and identity. At least one piece must include a signature.

Acceptable identification includes:

  1. BC Driver’s Licence
  2. BC CareCard or Gold CareCard
  3. BC Identification Card
  4. Citizenship Card
  5. Social Insurance Card
  6. Credit Card

**Note to Non-Resident (Property) Electors: When you register to vote as a Non-Resident (Property) Elector, you will be required to bring a couple of additional pieces of documentation:

  1. If applicable, written consent (click link) from a majority of the registered owners stating that you are the one owner of the property who is designated as the Non-Resident (Property) Elector for that property,
  2. Proof of ownership of the property in question (for example, your tax notice, or a certificate of title printout). A utility bill or other similar documentation is NOT proof of ownership.

Do I need to register prior to voting?

No.  If you qualify to vote, you may register at the time of voting.

To register, resident electors are required to produce two (2) pieces of ID that together prove who you are and where you live.  One MUST have your signature.

Acceptable forms of identification include:

  • BC Driver's License
  • BC CareCard or GoldCard
  • BC Identification Card
  • Citizenship Card
  • Credit or Debit Card
  • ICBC Certificate of Insurance
  • Residential Property Tax Notice
  • Social Insurance Card
  • Utility Bill

Other forms of identification may be accepted, at the discretion of the Presiding Election Official at the voting place.

Are landed immigrants eligible to vote? 
No.  You must be a Canadian citizen to vote.

What does 'disqualified from voting' mean? 
You may not vote in a British Columbia local government election if you have been convicted of an indictable offence and are in custody or have been found guilty of an election offence.

Where Do I Vote?

Voting place locations will be advertised in local newspapers and posted on this web page, once an election or other voting opportunity has been declared by the Chief Election Officer. 

If you are unsure as to which electoral area you live or own property in, please refer to the RDCK map.

Can I Vote By Mail?

You may be eligible to register and vote by mail if you have a physical disability, illness or injury that prevents you from attending a voting place at any of the voting opportunities. You may also be eligible if you reside in a specific and remote area of the Regional District or if you expect to be absent on general voting day and all advance voting days. For more detailed information about mail voting procedures, contact the Chief Election Officer at (250) 352-8153 or 1-800-268-7325.

Assent Voting/Referendum

From time to time the Regional Board may determine that assent voting/referendum should be held.  If so, information on that will be posted on the RDCK website.

The Regional Board may also determine that the Alternative Approval Process be used to gain the approval of  electors. 

Click here for Infomration on the Alternative Approval Process.

More information

The Government of British Columbia has information and documents available regarding Local Government Elections, which includes Candidate and Voters Guides. To view the British Columbia Local Government Election information, click here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/local-governments/governance-powers/general-local-elections

For more information regarding Regional District of Central Kootenay Elections/Assent Voting process contact:

Chief Election Officer
Tom Dool 
Phone: (250) 352-8173

Deputy Chief Election Officer
Angela Lund
Phone: (250) 352-8160

The content on this page was last updated February 24 2022 at 3:06 PM