Evacuation Alert issued for Village of Salmo and portions of Electoral Area G
May 5, 2023
Nelson, BC: Based on the weather forecast and consultation with Water Stewardship, the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has issued an Evacuation Alert for 892 properties in the Village of Salmo and the communities of Erie and Ymir in Electoral Area G due to risk of flooding. See map and complete list of properties on Evacuation Alert below.
Environment Canada is forecasting heavy rain with the possibility of thunderstorms today and the BC River Forecast Centre has the entire RDCK under flood watch. Erie Creek, the Salmo River and all surrounding tributaries are rising and will approach or may exceed the river banks. Flooding of areas adjacent to affected waterbodies may occur.
At this time residents or visitors within the area are not required to evacuate, however the RDCK advises people to remain vigilant and be prepared to leave the area at a moment’s notice. The key to emergency preparedness is knowing the risks in your area and having a plan. Take the time NOW to assemble your family Emergency Kit and Grab and Go Bag and ensure preparedness. Your plan should include moving pets and livestock to a safe area, in the event the situation worsens and an Evacuation Order is enforced. Part of your plan should also include where you can go if evacuated.
The RDCK warns everyone to stay away from the edges of watercourses and report any erosion or flooding to the Provincial Emergency Coordinator Centre at 1.800.663.3456
Updates or changes to the Evacuation Alert will be provided via the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter as more information becomes available. For details about evacuation and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo. The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250.352.7701.
What residents can do to be prepared:
- Sandbags and sand are available for residents at KP Park in Salmo at the baseball diamond and Ymir Fire Hall. For other locations throughout the RDCK check out www.rdck.ca/befloodprepared
- If you have livestock or large animals, now is the time to consider moving them.
- If you are not physically able to evacuate yourself, contact the EOC public inquiry line at 250.352.7701
For more emergency about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds or call 250.352.7701
- Report flooding or any new hazards to the 24-hour toll-free provincial emergency number at 1.800.663.3456.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notifications
- RDCK web map
- Follow the BC River Forecast Centre for flood warning and advisories
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada
- Fortis BC Outage Map or call 1.866.436.7847
- BC Hydro outage map or call 1.800.224.9376
- Drive BC for highway closures and road conditions
- Yellowhead Road and Bridge (YRB) 1.888.630.1420
- Prepared BC
Click here to view a print-friendly PDF version.
The content on this page was last updated May 5 2023 at 7:50 AM