Evacuation Order reduced to one property on Little Slocan South Road
May 3, 2023
Nelson, BC: Based on the recommendation from qualified professionals who have assessed the landslide hazard, the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has reduced the Evacuation Order on Little Slocan South Road in the community of Vallican in Electoral Area H to one property. The other two properties that were previously on Evacuation Order have been reduced to an Evacuation Alert. In total there are three properties on Evacuation Alert. See map of the Evacuation Order/Alert area below.
Evacuation Order Properties
3355 Little Slocan South Road
Evacuation Alert Properties
3300 Little Slocan South Road
3360 Little Slocan South Road
3364 Little Slocan South Road
The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure is currently working on clearing and repairing the road, with the expectation to open later this afternoon for local traffic only.
Access to the Evacuation Order area is being controlled. Residents will not be permitted to return to their home during an Evacuation Order unless it is safe to do so and you have been given permission by local officials and emergency personnel. Emergency Support Services are being provided for the one property that has been evacuated.
The RDCK advises residents on Evacuation Alert to remain vigilant and be prepared to leave the area at a moment’s notice. It is recommended to prepare an emergency kit and ensure preparedness, including moving pets and livestock to a safe area, in the event the situation worsens and an Evacuation Order is enforced. Part of your plan should include where you can go if evacuated.
To report further landslide activity in the area, please call the provincial emergency coordination centre at 1.800.663.3456.
Updates or changes to the Evacuation Alert will be provided via the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter as more information becomes available. For details about evacuation and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo. The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250.352.7701.
For more emergency about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds or call 250.352.7701
- Report flooding or any new hazards to the 24-hour toll-free provincial emergency number at 1.800.663.3456.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notifications
- RDCK web map
- Follow the BC River Forecast Centre for flood warning and advisories
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada
- Fortis BC Outage Map or call 1.866.436.7847
- BC Hydro outage map or call 1.800.224.9376
- Nelson Hydro 1.877.324.9376
- Drive BC for highway closures and road conditions
- Yellowhead Road and Bridge (YRB) 1.888.630.1420
- Prepared BC
Click here to view a print-friendly PDF version.
The content on this page was last updated May 3 2023 at 8:36 AM