Evacuation Alert rescinded for Village of Salmo and portions of Electoral Area G
May 6, 2023
Nelson, BC: The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has rescinded the Evacuation Alert for the Village of Salmo and the communities of Erie and Ymir in Electoral Area G due to risk of flooding.
Evacuation Alert Rescinded [PDF - 587 KB]
“While this is a positive step, residents in Salmo and Electoral Area G need to understand freshet season is expected to last through the month of May,” said Sangita Sudan, RDCK EOC Director. “The reality is this area is susceptible to flooding and there is still a significant amount of snowmelt, weather patterns can change instantly and currently the RDCK remains on flood watch from the BC River Forecast Centre. Residents need to remain vigilant and be prepared.”
The RDCK warns everyone to stay away from the edges of watercourses and report any erosion or flooding to the Provincial Emergency Coordinator Centre at 1.800.663.3456. Sandbags and sand remain available to all residents at any of the locations listed on the RDCK website: www.rdck.ca/befloodprepared.
Information about Evacuation Orders and Alerts in the RDCK can be found on the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter. For details about evacuation and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo. The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250.352.7701.
For more emergency about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds or call 250.352.7701
- Report flooding or any new hazards to the 24-hour toll-free provincial emergency number at 1.800.663.3456.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notifications
- RDCK web map
- Follow the BC River Forecast Centre for flood warning and advisories
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada
- Fortis BC Outage Map or call 1.866.436.7847
- BC Hydro outage map or call 1.800.224.9376
- Drive BC for highway closures and road conditions
- Yellowhead Road and Bridge (YRB) 1.888.630.1420
- Prepared BC
Click here to view a print-friendly PDF version.
The content on this page was last updated May 6 2023 at 7:19 AM