Evacuation Alert expanded on Little Slocan South Road
May 3, 2023
Nelson, BC: The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has expanded its Evacuation Alert to three more addresses on Little Slocan South Road due to debris flow from Talbot Creek that has damaged the road. Located in the community of Vallican, in Electoral Area H, there are now six properties on Evacuation Alert and one on Evacuation Order. Due to the damage to Little Slocan South Road, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has closed the road until further notice. See map of the expanded area below.
Evacuation Alert Expanded Map [PDF - 4 MB]
Evacuation Alert [PDF - 736 KB]
Evacuation Alert Properties
3279 Little Slocan South Road (new)
3290 Little Slocan South Road (new)
3301 Little Slocan South Road (new)
3300 Little Slocan South Road (already on Alert)
3360 Little Slocan South Road (already on Alert)
3364 Little Slocan South Road (already on Alert)
Evacuation Order Properties
3355 Little Slocan South Road
At this time residents or visitors within the area are not required to evacuate, however the RDCK advises people to remain vigilant and be prepared to leave the area at a moment’s notice. It is recommended to prepare an emergency kit and ensure preparedness, including moving pets and livestock to a safe area, in the event the situation worsens and an Evacuation Order is enforced. Part of your plan should include where you can go if evacuated.
The BC River Forecast Centre has upgraded the entire RDCK to Flood Watch for rivers and surrounding tributaries. River levels are rising and will approach or may exceed the river banks. Flooding of areas adjacent to affected waterbodies may occur.
The RDCK warns everyone to stay away from the edges of watercourses and report any erosion or flooding to the Provincial Emergency Coordinator Centre at 1.800.663.3456
Updates or changes to the Evacuation Order and Evacuation Alert will be provided via the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter as more information becomes available. For details about evacuation and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo. The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250.352.7701.
What residents can do to be prepared:
- Sandbags and sand are available for residents at any of the locations listed on the RDCK website: www.rdck.ca/befloodprepared
- If you have livestock or large animals, now is the time to consider moving them.
- If you are not physically able to evacuate yourself, contact the EOC public inquiry line at 250.352.7701
For more emergency about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds or call 250.352.7701
- Report flooding or any new hazards to the 24-hour toll-free provincial emergency number at 1.800.663.3456.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notifications
- RDCK web map
- Follow the BC River Forecast Centre for flood warning and advisories
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada
- Fortis BC Outage Map or call 1.866.436.7847
- BC Hydro outage map or call 1.800.224.9376
- Nelson Hydro 1.877.324.9376
- Drive BC for highway closures and road conditions
- Yellowhead Road and Bridge (YRB) 1.888.630.1420
- Prepared BC
Click here to view a print-friendly PDF verison.
The content on this page was last updated May 4 2023 at 6:19 AM