Evacuation Alert removed for Duhamel Creek
June 14, 2022
Nelson, BC: The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has removed the Evacuation Alert for 164 properties in the community of Six Mile around the Duhamel Creek fan in Electoral Area F.
At this time creek levels have dropped and the BC River Forecast Centre has downgraded the Flood Watch Advisory to a High Streamflow Advisory for the entire RDCK. The long range forecast from Environment Canada indicates lower temperatures and light showers. However, given the potential for surprise storms, increased snowmelt and concerns over the current state of the orphan dike in Duhamel Creek, residents in the area need to remain vigilant and prepared for the Alert to be reactivated in the future.
“While we are able to remove the alert at this time, residents in Six Mile and throughout the RDCK need to understand freshet season is far from over,” said Chris Johnson, RDCK EOC Director, “The snowpack remains unusually high for this time of year and it is imperative for residents to be prepared and stay informed by monitoring local weather and current stream flows.”
The RDCK warns everyone to stay away from the edges of watercourses and report any erosion or flooding to the Provincial Emergency Coordinator Centre at 1.800.663.3456. Sandbags and sand remain available to all residents at any of the locations listed on the RDCK website: www.rdck.ca/befloodprepared.
Information about Evacuation Orders and Alerts in the RDCK can be found on the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter. For details about evacuation and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo. The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250.352.7701.
For more information about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds or call 250.352.7701
- Report flooding or any new hazards to the 24-hour toll-free provincial emergency number at 1.800.663.3456.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notifications
- RDCK web map
- Follow the BC River Forecast Centre for flood warning and advisories
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada
- Fortis BC Outage Map or call 1.866.436.7847
- BC Hydro outage map or call 1.800.224.9376
- Nelson Hydro or call1.877.324.9376
- Drive BC for highway closures and road conditions
- Yellowhead Road and Bridge (YRB) 1.888.630.1420
- Prepared BC
Click here to view a print-friendly PDF version.
The content on this page was last updated June 14 2022 at 9:23 AM