Evacuation Alert rescinded for properties along Lardeau River
July 5, 2022
Nelson, BC: The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has rescinded the Evacuation Alert for 25 properties along the Lardeau River, in Electoral Area D, south from Poplar Creek to the confluence of the Lardeau River and Duncan River.
After consultation with BC Water Stewardship, it was determined the Lardeau River peaked last night just above a 5-year return period. A High Streamflow Advisory remains in effect for the entire RDCK and given the potential for unstable weather patterns over the next few days, plus increased snowmelt from a record setting snow pack, residents in the area need to remain vigilant and prepared.
“Thankfully the 100-year flood event did not happen over night and we are able to rescind the Alert,” said Nora Hannon, RDCK EOC Director and Regional Fire Chief. “However, due to the potential for more rain in the forecast and still a significant amount of snow pack, it is imperative for residents to be prepared and stay informed by monitoring local weather and current stream flows.”
The RDCK warns everyone to stay away from the edges of watercourses and report any erosion or flooding to the Provincial Emergency Coordinator Centre at 1.800.663.3456. Sandbags and sand remain available to all residents at any of the locations listed on the RDCK website: www.rdck.ca/befloodprepared.
Information about Evacuation Orders and Alerts in the RDCK can be found on the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter. For details about evacuation and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo. The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250.352.7701.
For more information about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds or call 250.352.7701
- Report flooding or any new hazards to the 24-hour toll-free provincial emergency number at 1.800.663.3456.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notifications
- RDCK web map
- Follow the BC River Forecast Centre for flood warning and advisories
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada
- Fortis BC Outage Map or call 1.866.436.7847
- BC Hydro outage map or call 1.800.224.9376
- Nelson Hydro 1.877.324.9376
- Drive BC for highway closures and road conditions
- Yellowhead Road and Bridge (YRB) 1.888.630.1420
- Prepared BC
Click here to view a print-friendly PDF version.
The content on this page was last updated July 5 2022 at 4:55 AM