Evacuation Alert issued for Cultus Creek wildfire
July 16, 2021
Nelson, BC: On the recommendation of the BC Wildfire Service (BCWS), the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) has issued an Evacuation Alert for areas from south of Next Creek to north of Midge Creek, located in Electoral Area A on the west shore of the south arm of Kootenay Lake due to the Cultus Creek wildfire (N71245). See map of Evacuation Alert area below.
See the Evacuation Alert for specific address points:
Cultus Creek Evacuation Alert [PDF - 507 KB]
At this time residents or visitors within the area are not required to evacuate, however the RDCK advises people to remain vigilant and be prepared to leave the area at a moment’s notice. It is recommended to prepare an emergency kit and ensure preparedness, including moving pets and livestock to a safe area, in the event the situation worsens and an Evacuation Order is enforced. Part of your plan should include where you can go if evacuated.
The Cultus Creek wildfire was first discovered on July 2 and estimated at 611 hectares. The BCWS has determined the cause to be lightning.
Updates or changes to the Evacuation Alert will be provided via the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter as more information becomes available. For details on evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo. The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250-352-7701.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: www.rdck.ca/eocinfo or call 250-352-7701
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification: https://voyent-alert.com/ca/community/
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/index.html#/f0ac328d88c74d07aa2ee385abe2a41b
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: https://www.drivebc.ca/
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index: https://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/data/aqhi-table.html
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
Click here to view a print-friendly PDF version.
The content on this page was last updated July 17 2021 at 9:48 AM