Evacuation Alert for Cultus Creek wildfire removed
August 8, 2021
Nelson, BC: On the recommendation of the BC Wildfire Service (BCWS), the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) is removing the Evacuation Alert for the areas south of Next Creek to north of Midge Creek, located in Electoral Area A on the west shore of the south arm of Kootenay Lake due to the Cultus Creek wildfire. BCWS advises imminent danger of wildfire to life and properties has diminished at this time.
The Cultus Creek wildfire was first discovered on July 2. The BCWS determined the cause to be lightning.
An Evacuation Alert was issued on July 16 and expanded to an Evacuation Order on July 22. The Evacuation Order was reduced to an Alert on July 25.
The RDCK advises people to remain vigilant in the event that conditions change and an Evacuation Alert or Order may be re-issued and the evacuation process will recommence. It is recommended to prepare an emergency kit and ensure preparedness, including moving pets and livestock to a safe area, in the event of another emergency.
Information about Evacuation Orders and Alerts in the RDCK can be found on the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter. For details about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo.
For up to date information on current wildfire activity, conditions and prohibitions, call 1 888 3-FOREST (1 888-336-7378) or visit www.bcwildfire.ca.
For more information about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: www.rdck.ca/eocinfo or call 250-352-7701
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notifications
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website
Click here to view a print-friendly PDF version.
The content on this page was last updated August 8 2021 at 12:23 PM