RDCK Evacuation Alert for Duhamel Creek due to possible flooding
June 12, 2022
Nelson, BC: The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has issued an Evacuation Alert for the community of Six Mile around the Duhamel Creek fan in Electoral Area F.
At this time residents or visitors within the area are not required to evacuate, however the RDCK advises people to remain vigilant and be prepared to leave the area at a moment’s notice. It is recommended to prepare an emergency kit and ensure preparedness, including moving pets and livestock to a safe area, in the event the situation worsens and an Evacuation Order is enforced. Part of your plan should include where you can go if evacuated.
The BC River Forecast Centre has issued a high streamflow advisory for the West Kootenay area. River levels are rising or are expected to rise rapidly and will approach or may exceed the river banks. Flooding of areas adjacent to affected waterbodies may occur.
The RDCK warns everyone to stay away from the edges of watercourses and report any erosion or flooding to the Provincial Emergency Coordinator Centre at 1.800.663.3456
Updates or changes to the Evacuation Alert will be provided via the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter as more information becomes available. For details on emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo. The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250.352.7701.
What residents can do to be prepared:
- Sandbags and sand are available for residents at any of the locations listed on the RDCK website: www.rdck.ca/befloodprepared
- If you have livestock or large animals, now is the time to consider moving them.
- If you are not physically able to evacuate yourself, contact the EOC public inquiry line at 250.352.7701
For more emergency about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds or call 250.352.7701
- Report flooding or any new hazards to the 24-hour toll-free provincial emergency number at 1.800.663.3456.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notifications
- RDCK web map
- Follow the BC River Forecast Centre for flood warning and advisories
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada
- Fortis BC Outage Map or call 1.866.436.7847
- BC Hydro outage map or call 1.800.224.9376
- Nelson Hydro 1.877.324.9376
- Drive BC for highway closures and road conditions
- Yellowhead Road and Bridge (YRB) 1.888.630.1420
- Prepared BC
The content on this page was last updated June 12 2022 at 2:52 PM