Evacuation Order and Alert issued for Michaud Creek wildfire
July 16, 2021
Nelson, BC: On the recommendation of the BC Wildfire Service (BCWS), the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) has issued an Evacuation Order for properties in Electoral Area’s J and K and an Evacuation Alert in Electoral Area K, specifically for the community of Edgewood, located along the west shore of Lower Arrow Lake, due to the Michaud Creek wildfire (N51765) approximately 19 kilometres south of Edgewood.
The Evacuation Order in Electoral Area’s J and K runs from Bowman Creek along the west shore of Lower Arrow Lake up to Johnston Creek. The area may also include other properties and structures within the area not registered with the RDCK.
Effective immediately, residents in the Evacuation ORDER area must leave immediately. List of addresses currently under Evacuation Order are:
768 Lower Arrow Lake
Cinnamon Lake Cabins
The Evacuation Alert area starts at Johnston Creek and continues north to Highway 6, including the community of Edgewood. Under the Evacuation Alert, residents and visitors should be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice. It is recommended to prepare an emergency kit and have a plan where you will go if the situation worsens and you need to evacuate (see map below).
See Evacuation Alert for specific address points:
Michaud Creek Evacuation Alert
The Michaud Creek wildfire was discovered on July 10 and is an estimated 450 hectares. BCWS has determined the cause to be lightning.
The RDCK EOC will provide further updates as more information becomes available.
For more information about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo. The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250-352-7701.This number will be staffed from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: www.rdck.ca/eocinfo or call 250-352-7701.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification: https://voyent-alert.com/ca/community/
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/index.html#/f0ac328d88c74d07aa2ee385abe2a41b
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: https://www.drivebc.ca/
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index: https://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/data/aqhi-table.html
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
Click here to view a print-friendly PDF version.
The content on this page was last updated July 19 2021 at 10:19 AM