Evacuation Alert issued for one property due to Merry Creek Wildfire - Crews make progress to stabilize wildfire
July 2, 2021
Nelson, BC: Based on the recommendation from BC Wildfire Service (BCWS), the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has issued an Evacuation Alert for 1473 Meadowbrook Drive due to the Merry Creek Wildfire (N51165). 31 properties will remain under an Evacuation Order. Please refer to the map below outlining the area.
The RDCK EOC originally issued an Evacuation Order on Thursday, July 1 as the result of the Merry Creek Wildfire, 8 kilometres SW of Castlegar. The Evacuation area covers residential addresses on 14th Ave., Fernwood Drive, Highway 3, Killough Road, Lucas Ave, Lucas Road, Mason Road, and Merry Creek Forest Service Road.
“Extensive resources have been deployed on the Merry Creek wildfire,” said Nora Hannon, EOC Director and RDCK Regional Fire Chief. “Crews have made good progress on the fire and with the deployment of structural protection resources.”
The City of Castlegar also has six areas under Evacuation Alert. For more information visit the City of Castlegar website.
The Merry Creek Wildfire was discovered on Thursday July 1, and is now an estimated 15 hectares. BC Wildfire Service considers it out of control. For more information on the wildfire, please visit the BCWS Wildfire of Note Page.
The RDCK advises people to remain vigilant and be on alert in the area. It is recommended to prepare an emergency kit and ensure preparedness, including moving pets and livestock to a safe area, in the event the situation worsens and an Evacuation Order is enforced.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: www.rdck.ca/eocinfo or call 250-352-7701
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification of Evacuation Orders. Go to www.rdck.ca/emergencynotification and select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://voyent-alert.com/community/?page_id=217
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status - Emergency Contact Number 1-800-663-5555 or *5555
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: http://www.drivebc.ca/
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/aqhi-table.xml
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
For more information about evacuations and emergency preparedness, along with other resources, please visit www.rdck.ca/eocinfo. The RDCK EOC public inquiry line is 250-352-7701.
Click here to view a print-friendly PDF version.
The content on this page was last updated July 2 2021 at 2:20 PM