RDCK RDCK Wide Flooding Evacuation Alert (Exception: City of Castlegar and City of Nelson)
May 30, 2020
Nelson, BC: The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has issued an Evacuation Alert for the entire RDCK, including all communities and municipalities, with the exception of the City of Castlegar and the City of Nelson. This alert is specific to properties adjacent to rivers, creeks or streams. This is an unprecedented alert due to an extreme storm cell developing over the next 12 hours and following significant spring meltwater.
“We are issuing this evacuation alert as a precaution due to the significant amount of uncertainly pertaining to rainfall amounts and the potential for extreme isolated storm events,” said Chris Johnson, the RDCK Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) Director. “We are advising everyone that lives near a river, creek or stream to be prepared to evacuate if required on short notice. This situation can change quickly, depending on the weather over the next 12-48 hours.”
Updates will be provided on the RDCK Emergency Information Page.
The BC River Forecast Centre has upgraded the Slocan River, Salmo River and surrounding tributaries to a flood watch. River levels are rising and will approach or may exceed bank full. Flooding of areas adjacent to affected waterbodies may occur.
At this time residents or visitors within the area are not required to evacuate; however, the RDCK advises people to remain vigilant and be prepared to leave the area at short notice. This alert may be followed by an immediate evacuation order should conditions worsen.
What residents can do to be prepared:
- Sandbags and sand are available for residents at any of the locations listed on the RDCK website: www.rdck.ca/befloodprepared
- If you have livestock or large animals, now is the time to consider moving them.
- If you are not physically able to evacuate yourself, contact the EOC public inquiry line at 250-352-7701 now, so authorities are aware of your circumstances.
- If you have questions about how to prepare for an evacuation, where to get sandbags or other questions relating to emergency preparedness please refer to the RDCK website. If you have further questions please contact the EOC at 250-352-1572.
- Report flooding or any new hazards, such as potential flooding or debris flows, to the 24-hour toll-free provincial emergency number at 1-800-663-3456.
- Sign up for the RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive instant notification of evacuation orders. Go to www.rdck.ca and select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://rdckemergency.connectrocket.com.
- Follow the BC River Forecast Centre for flood warning and advisories
- For information about emergency preparedness for floods (including sandbagging) and evacuations, please visit www.rdck.ca/befloodprepared or the PreparedBC website.
Incorporated in 1965, the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) is a local government that serves 60,000 residents in 11 electoral areas and nine member municipalities. The RDCK provides more than 160 services, including community facilities, fire protection and emergency services, grants, planning and land use, regional parks, resource recovery and handling, transit, water services and much more. For more information about the RDCK, visit www.rdck.ca.
For further information, please contact:
EOC Information Officer
Regional District of Central Kootenay
Click here to read print-friendly PDF version
The content on this page was last updated May 30 2020 at 6:34 PM