Evacuation Order reduced to ALERT for Sheep Creek Road area
September 4, 2018
Nelson, BC: Upon recommendation from the BC Wildfire Service, the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) has downgraded the Evacuation Order that was previously in place for the Sheep Creek Road area, southeast of Salmo, to an Evacuation ALERT, effective immediately. The Evacuation Order has been in effect since August 10, due to the McArthur Creek wildfire.
The map below indicates the area affected by the Evacuation ALERT, or it can be viewed on the RDCK website here: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html
“The BC Wildfire Service has advised that imminent danger due to the McArthur Creek wildfire has diminished and residents can return home, although the area remains on Evacuation Alert,” said Chris Johnson, the RDCK Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) Director. “We urge residents and visitors in the area to remain prepared to evacuate if required. The RDCK will continue to monitor the situation and advise if anything changes.”
While Sheep Creek Road is open, a number of Forest Service Roads (FSRs) are closed due to the fire: Bennett FSR, Billings FSR, and Waldie FSR. A map of the closures can be seen below, or on the RDCK website here: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html
The McArthur Creek wildfire (N51557) was discovered on July 29, and is suspected to have been caused by lightning. The estimated size is 703 hectares. The fire is a modified response fire, meaning it is managed using a combination of suppression techniques, including direct and indirect attack, and monitoring to steer, contain and otherwise manage fire activity within pre-determined perimeters. For more information, see the wildfire information page here: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp?ID=777.
All other current Evacuation Orders and Alerts remain in effect. The RDCK EOC will provide further updates as needed.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html or call 250-352-7701 / 1-866-522-7701.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification of Evacuation Orders. Go to www.rdck.ca and select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://rdckemergency.connectrocket.com.
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: http://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: http://www.drivebc.ca/
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/aqhi-table.xml
- For tips about living with smoky skies and wildfires from the Interior Health Authority: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/YourEnvironment/Emergency/MajorEvents/Pages/default.aspx
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
For further information, please contact:
EOC Information Officer
Regional District of Central Kootenay
Tel: 250-352-7701 | 250-354-3476
View the print-friendly version [PDF - 558 KB].
The content on this page was last updated September 4 2018 at 1:11 PM