Evacuation Order reduced to ALERT for area close to Deer Creek wildfire
September 1, 2018
Evacuation ALERT still in place for southern portion
Nelson, BC: Upon recommendation from the BC Wildfire Service, the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) has downgraded the Evacuation Order that was previously in place for the area north from Renata Ferry Road on Broadwater Road and Deer Creek FSR to an Evacuation ALERT. The area south from Renata Ferry Road to Cayuse Creek remains on Evacuation ALERT.
The map below indicates the area affected by the Evacuation ALERT, or it can be viewed on the RDCK website here: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html
“The BC Wildfire Service has advised that imminent danger due to the Deer Creek wildfire has diminished, and those in the northern part who previously were required to evacuate can return home, although the area remains on Evacuation Alert,” said Chris Johnson, the RDCK Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) Director. “Residents and visitors in the entire alert area should remain prepared to evacuate if required. We will continue to monitor the situation and advise if anything changes.”
The Deer Creek wildfire (N52489) was discovered on August 11, and is suspected to have been caused by lightning. The estimated size is 1,557 hectares. BC Wildfire Service is actively responding to the fire. For more information, see the wildfire information page here: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp?ID=777.
All other current Evacuation Orders and Alerts remain in effect. The RDCK EOC will provide further updates as more information becomes available.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html or call 250-352-7701 / 1-866-522-7701.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification of Evacuation Orders. Go to www.rdck.ca and select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://rdckemergency.connectrocket.com.
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: http://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: http://www.drivebc.ca/
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/aqhi-table.xml
- For tips about living with smoky skies and wildfires from the Interior Health Authority: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/YourEnvironment/Emergency/MajorEvents/Pages/default.aspx
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
For further information, please contact:
EOC Information Officer
Regional District of Central Kootenay
Tel: 250-352-7701 | 250-354-3476
View the print-friendly version [PDF - 330 KB].
The content on this page was last updated September 1 2018 at 6:25 PM