Evacuation ORDER issued for properties north of Deer Creek wildfire - CORRECTION
August 21, 2018
CORRECTION TO LOCATION OF RECEPTION CENTRE
Nelson, BC: The Deer Creek wildfire (N52489) has now grown to approximately 439 hectares and is still being responded to by BC Wildfire Service. Due to wildfire activity and forecast conditions, the Southeast Fire Centre has recommended the current Evacuation Alert in the area be immediately upgraded to an Evacuation ORDER for 13 properties in the north part of the alert area as a precaution.
The Evacuation ORDER area covers the area north from Renata Ferry Road on Broadwater Road and Deer Creek FSR. The south portion of Renata Ferry Road remains open. The area south from Renata Ferry Road to Cayuse Creek remains on Evacuation ALERT. The map below indicates the areas affected by the Evacuation ORDER and the area that remains on Evacuation ALERT.
Effective immediately, residents in the Evacuation ORDER area must leave immediately. All affected properties are being visited by Robson fire department and the RCMP to ensure this information is being delivered to property owners. Evacuees are advised to check in at the reception centre, located in the Selkirk Room at the Castlegar & District Community Complex, 2101 6th Avenue, Castlegar.
The RDCK has declared a state of local emergency in the area due to the Deer Creek wildfire and the imminent threat of it spreading to properties. The RDCK EOC is opting not to use the Emergency Notification System due to the limited number of residences that need to be evacuated.
The RDCK EOC will provide further updates as more information becomes available.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html or call 250-352-7701 / 1-866-522-7701.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification of Evacuation Orders. Go to www.rdck.ca and select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://rdckemergency.connectrocket.com.
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: http://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: http://www.drivebc.ca/
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/aqhi-table.xml
- For tips about living with smoky skies and wildfires from the Interior Health Authority: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/YourEnvironment/Emergency/MajorEvents/Pages/default.aspx
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
For further information, please contact:
EOC Information Officer
Regional District of Central Kootenay
View the print-friendly version [PDF - 343 KB].
The content on this page was last updated August 21 2018 at 2:54 PM