Water System Upgrades & Metering Project
Despite the completion of a new treatment plant in 2011, the Balfour Water System continues to face capacity, aging infrastructure, reliability and financial challenges.
The RDCK was awarded a $2.8 million Clean Water & Wastewater Fund Grant (CWWF) to undertake capital upgrades in the Balfour Water System, contingent on the Regional District to provide the balance of the project costs of $583,323.00.
An Assent Voting Process (Referendum) was held in June 2017 to gain public approval for project borrowing. The results indicated that 87.9% of voters were in support of the borrowing, with 12.1% opposed.
Project work has commenced and under the granting agency requirements, all project components must be completed in their entirety by March 31, 2019.
Project Description and Timeline
The components of the Balfour Water Upgrades project are following including the budgeted costs:
|Reservoir Replacement||$1,011,000||May 2018 completion|
|Universal Metering||$ 475,000||Fall 2017 - Summer 2018|
Lake Pump Station Standby Power
Upper Zone Pump Station Relocation
|$ 199,000||Summer 2018 Completion|
Distribution System Upgrade
Looping and District Metering
|$ 725,000||July 2018 completion|
- Improved system reliability and fire protection (with replacement of structurally unsound reservoir and addition of standby power)
- Improved demand side management (with metering) will lessen the need to issue Stage 3 Water Conservation Measures and the resulting reduced water consumption can extend the life of water system infrastructure, thereby reducing costs to the users
Project updates will be released on a regular basis. Please check back here to obtain current project status.
UPDATE - January 12, 2018:
- Over 65 site visits have been completed to assist with the universal metering portion of the project. We thank the Balfour residents that have contacted us to book a site visit. Balfour water users can still book a site visit to assist in determining the requirements of the universal metering portion of this project. Please call (250) 352-8171 to book an appointment. The site visit takes about 15 minutes and is a great opportunity to talk with a knowledgeable representative about the universal metering project.
- The watermain replacement invitation to tender has been issued. The universal metering supply / installation tendering process will begin in February 2018.
- Western Tank & Lining Ltd, the contractor for the supply and install of the reservoir replacement, provided the RDCK with options for the colour of the new reservoir. The RDCK chose blue, to represent water and to complement Balfour's brilliant blue skies. The reservoir will be installed in the spring with completion set for May 31, 2018. The reservoir will look similar to this recent installation:
The Universal Metering project has commenced. The project will encompass the installation of meters in all developed properties within the Balfour Water System. There are many steps to take place before the goal of metered billing is implemented in the Balfour Water System. A metering consultant that has extensive experience in implementing metering programs has been retained to aid the RDCK in outlaying the Universal Metering project.
For general information on water meters click HERE.
Universal Metering Project Timeline
Following the advice of our Metering Consultant, the RDCK will be conducting site visits to commercial and residential properties in the Balfour Water System to determine meter installation requirements. A RDCK staff member is currently conducting these site visits on Wednesdays. If you would like to arrange an appointment for a site visit to your property, or have any questions regarding the metering project, please contact the RDCK Water Services Department at (250) 352-8171 or WaterContact@rdck.bc.ca.
The expected Universal Metering Project timeline is outlined below. This timeline is subject to change dependent on many project variables:
|November 2017 - February 2018||Site visits to determine metering needs|
|February - March 2018||Installation contractor tendering process|
|Spring 2018||Meter installation period|
|Summer 2018 - Summer 2019||RDCK will monitor meter readings|
|Fall 2019||RDCK will formulate metered rate structure|
|January 2020||Balfour utility billing transfers to metered billings|
A public outreach program is currently being developed for this project. Components will likely include: mailouts with timely information, notices posted within the Balfour community, regular updates posted on the RDCK website, and a community meeting / open house.
If you would like to receive notifications regarding this project by text or phone message please sign up HERE or call the Utility Billing office at (250) 352-8182.
Pending budget approval, a WaterSmart Ambassador will be available in the summer months during the project to help water users who wish to learn more about water conservation in preparation for the transition to metered billing.
RDCK Water Services staff are always available to answer questions about the Balfour Upgrades and Universal Metering Project. Please feel free to contact us at (250) 352-8171 or WaterContact@rdck.bc.ca anytime.
The content on this page was last updated January 12 2018 at 3:51 PM