Water System Upgrades & Metering Project
Despite the completion of a new treatment plant in 2011, the Balfour Water System continues to face capacity, aging infrastructure, reliability and financial challenges.
The RDCK was awarded a $2.8 million Clean Water & Wastewater Fund Grant (CWWF) to undertake capital upgrades in the Balfour Water System, contingent on the Regional District to provide the balance of the project costs of $583,323.00.
An Assent Voting Process (Referendum) was held in June 2017 to gain public approval for project borrowing. The results indicated that 87.9% of voters were in support of the borrowing, with 12.1% opposed.
Project work has commenced and under the granting agency requirements, all project components must be completed in their entirety by March 31, 2019.
Project Description and Timeline
The components of the Balfour Water Upgrades project are following including the budgeted costs:
|Reservoir Replacement||$1,011,000||May 2018 completion|
|Universal Metering||$ 475,000||Fall 2017 - Summer 2018|
Lake Pump Station Standby Power
Upper Zone Pump Station Relocation
|$ 199,000||Summer 2018 Completion|
Distribution System Upgrade
Looping and District Metering
|$ 725,000||July 2018 completion|
- Improved system reliability and fire protection (with replacement of structurally unsound reservoir and addition of standby power)
- Improved demand side management (with metering) will lessen the need to issue Stage 3 Water Conservation Measures and the resulting reduced water consumption can extend the life of water system infrastructure, thereby reducing costs to the users
Project updates will be released on a regular basis. Please check back here to obtain current project status.
UPDATE - April 12, 2018:
Kaslo Industrial, based in Kaslo, has been awarded the Reservoir Site Preparation contract. This work involves the following tasks:
- Installation of 110 meters of watermain, valves and fittings to connect the new reservoir to the existing water system
- Installation of electrical and communication equipment required for operation of new reservoir
- Drainage structures, and site grading
- Installation of two metering chambers for the two pressure zones
Kaslo Industrial will commence work as soon as Western Tank & Lining has completed the installation of the new reservoir. Some water outages will be required for the tie-in of the new waterlines. Advanced notice will be given to all residences for these outages. Residences are encouraged to sign-up for the Water Notification Service which allows users to receive automatic notifications by telephone or text message. Please call 1-833-223-2662 or email your contact information to WaterFinance@rdck.bc.ca to sign up.
UPDATE - April 4, 2018:
Western Tank & Lining has begun to prepare the reservoir site. Work to date includes, removal of organics, setting survey control, survey layout and geotechnical engineer review to confirm suitable soils for subgrade . Excavation to achieve the reservoir subgrade will continue this week with foundation work to commence immediately after. As part of this work, an existing waterline will need to be relocated. This will necessitate a short outage for residences on Holt Road and Upper Balfour Road. We expect this outage to take no more than two hours and additional advance notice will be provided once the date/time has been determined.
UPDATE - March 23, 2018:
Balfour residents may notice six large trees being removed on Busk Road the week of March 26, 2018 (weather permitting). The trees are being removed as part of the Balfour watermain replacement project, which is one of the important upgrades being made to the Balfour Water System to improve system reliability and fire protection.
The decision to remove the trees was made after considering other options, and is supported by Ben Tanasichuk, area manager at the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MOTi). The trees are on MOTi land.
Area residents are being advised of this work by hand-delivered notices and a notice in the post office.
If you have any questions about the removal of the trees, please contact Tanji Zumpano, Water Services Liaison, at the Regional District of Central Kootenay at 250-352-8171 or email@example.com.
UPDATE - March 16, 2018:
Two proposals for the Universal Metering portion of this project were received before the closing date (March 13, 2018). Both of these proposals are currently being evaluated by a five member evaluation team which consists of four RDCK staff and the Project Consultant. The award of this portion of the project is expected to take place at the April RDCK Board of Directors meeting on April 12, 2018. Both proponents have similar schedules with meter installations to commence approximately a month after award (mid-May). We will introduce the successful proponent as well as hold a community meeting in early May. The process of booking appointments to have a meter installed will be communicated through this webpage, mailouts, our water notification service, and the community meeting.
UPDATE - February 26, 2018:
Trainor Mechanical, based in Nelson, has been awarded the watermain and backup power contract. This work involves the following tasks:
- Supply and installation of 200mm PVC watermain along Highway 3A and Busk Road
- Removal and disposal of existing asbestos concrete pipe
- Horizontal directional drilling across Highway 3A and Ferry Landing Road
- Installation of new hydrants, valves and other appurtenances and reconnection of services
- Supply and Installation of back up power generators for the lake pumps and treatment plant
Trainor Mechanical will commence work as soon as weather conditions allow. Much of the work required to complete is along Highway 3A and therefore residences should be prepared for additional traffic delays as this work will require single lane alternating traffic. The Ministry of Transportation has requested that all work along the highway be fully complete before summer traffic. As such, Trainor Mechanical will complete work along Highway 3A before June 28th. Residences should also be prepared for periodic water outages as the new waterlines are brought into service. Some residents along Highway 3A and many along Busk Road will be provided temporary overland water connections as in some locations the old waterline will be removed before the new waterline is installed. Further notifications to residences effected by these water interruptions/inconveniences will be provided in advance.
The reservoir site preparation tender will be let this week (last week of February). Local contractors are encouraged to submit a bid; watch for this tender on this website as well as BCbid. This tender will involve:
- The supply and installation of piping to connect new reservoir to existing water system
- Site grading, drainage structure and swale construction
- Demolition of existing reservoir
- Installation of meter chambers
- Installation of electrical and communication services for new reservoir and meter chambers
The universal metering Request for Proposal has been issued and closes on March 13th. There have been 2 notices of intent from proponents to submit a proposal. A plan for community outreach for the universal metering project is in place, and includes videos, mailouts, presence on social media, and an open house / meeting.
The reservoir replacement contract has been let to Western Tank & Lining Ltd. Construction will start in early April 2018.
UPDATE - January 12, 2018:
- Over 65 site visits have been completed to assist with the universal metering portion of the project. We thank the Balfour residents that have contacted us to book a site visit. Balfour water users can still book a site visit to assist in determining the requirements of the universal metering portion of this project. Please call (250) 352-8171 to book an appointment. The site visit takes about 15 minutes and is a great opportunity to talk with a knowledgeable representative about the universal metering project.
- The watermain replacement invitation to tender has been issued. The universal metering supply / installation tendering process will begin in February 2018.
- Western Tank & Lining Ltd, the contractor for the supply and install of the reservoir replacement, provided the RDCK with options for the colour of the new reservoir. The RDCK chose blue, to represent water and to complement Balfour's brilliant blue skies. The reservoir will be installed in the spring with completion set for May 31, 2018. The reservoir will look similar to this recent installation:
Universal Metering Project
The Universal Metering project has commenced. The project will encompass the installation of meters in all developed properties within the Balfour Water System. There are many steps to take place before the goal of metered billing is implemented in the Balfour Water System. A metering consultant that has extensive experience in implementing metering programs has been retained to aid the RDCK in outlaying the Universal Metering project.
For general information on water meters click HERE.
Universal Metering Project Timeline
Following the advice of our Metering Consultant, the RDCK will be conducting site visits to commercial and residential properties in the Balfour Water System to determine meter installation requirements. A RDCK staff member is currently conducting these site visits on Wednesdays. If you would like to arrange an appointment for a site visit to your property, or have any questions regarding the metering project, please contact the RDCK Water Services Department at (250) 352-8171 or WaterContact@rdck.bc.ca.
The expected Universal Metering Project timeline is outlined below. This timeline is subject to change dependent on many project variables:
|November 2017 - February 2018||Site visits to determine metering needs|
|February - March 2018||Installation contractor tendering process|
|Spring 2018||Meter installation period|
|Summer 2018 - Summer 2019||RDCK will monitor meter readings|
|Fall 2019||RDCK will formulate metered rate structure|
|January 2020||Balfour utility billing transfers to metered billings|
A public outreach program is currently being developed for this project. Components will likely include: mailouts with timely information, notices posted within the Balfour community, regular updates posted on the RDCK website, and a community meeting / open house.
If you would like to receive notifications regarding this project by text or phone message please sign up HERE or call the Utility Billing office at (250) 352-8182.
Pending budget approval, a WaterSmart Ambassador will be available in the summer months during the project to help water users who wish to learn more about water conservation in preparation for the transition to metered billing.
RDCK Water Services staff are always available to answer questions about the Balfour Upgrades and Universal Metering Project. Please feel free to contact us at (250) 352-8171 or WaterContact@rdck.bc.ca anytime.
The content on this page was last updated April 12 2018 at 2:08 PM